Thursday 3 January 2013

New Year Plans


Happy New Year... I can’t believe that we are finally in 2013. We have had a really chilled over the Christmas and New Year period, here at Willowbeck House. January has kind of snuck up on us. I have been longing to do a bit of sewing, so last Thursday I got up before the family and did an hour of sewing. I made my hipBee blocks for Collette. They are a simple Disappearing 9 Patch block. I have not made this block before so it was a first for me. The blocks went together really quickly and look nice in Collette’s Field Study. The quilt will look lovely when all the blocks are put together.
D9P for Collette

D9P for Collette
Yesterday, despite (or because) the house was full of boys, I moved my sewing machine downstairs and set up camp in the dining room. I wanted to make a start on this bag. I bought the pattern when it was on offer in the Black Friday sales and I have been itching to get started. I wanted to make this bag in yellow & black but I didn’t have a ‘feature’ print to build the patchwork around. Before Christmas we had a day out in Cambridge, and in a curtain fabric shop, I found the print that I knew would fit into my colour scheme so I bought a 1/4m and have managed to get some complete birds in the yardage.
Perfect quilted tote - a WIP
I thought that this would be a time consuming bag to construct as you have to quilt over each piece of fabric at 1/4” intervals. In fact the opposite is true, and it is going together really quickly.
Quilting detail

The tedious bit - going up and down...
I have nearly a complete free day ahead of me so whilst the boys are revising, (if I ever get them tipped out of their beds) I am going sewing!

Di x

13 comments:

  1. Happy new year! Your bag is looking lovely, beautiful fabrics x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag looks lovely already. Love the bird print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new bag looks fab, and have a great day sewing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo this looks like the start of a fabulous bag. Enjoy your day of sewing (funny how much I've missed sewing over the Christmas holidays) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fabrics you have chosen for the bag. QAYG is so satisfying I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bag is going to be stunning! I love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love the look of that bag Di, the blocks are interesting. It's my turn for block of the month and I don't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks for Collette are great. I love seeing your bag in progress. Your colour combo is going to be lovely and the birds will make nice feature fabrics. Keep at the good stuff! Hope you had a fun day sewing and that the boys surfaced for their revision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Disappearing 9 is a very dear old favourite of mine, being the first patchwork I ever stitched. I still can't believe that for my first quilted item I chose a king size quilt :doofus:

    Your bag is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bag fabric choice is lovely! I love the D9P as a block. It's so simple but once you put them in a quilt it looks like you've spent ages on each block to get the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it good to get back to sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your fabrics! Quilt as you go gives a wonderful structure and sturdiness to bags! This is going to be fab! Lovely blocks for C too! jxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Di this is such a lovely bag idea! Love the birdie! X

    ReplyDelete