Tuesday 12 February 2013

Celebrations

This past weekend we have been celebrating Elder Son's 18th birthday. I cooked all day Friday as we had a lunch party at home on Saturday, with family and friends who came from far and wide. Elder son's birthday was actually on Sunday so he didn't open his presents from us until that morning.

At last I can reveal the quilt that I have been working on during January for Elder Son. The last piece of binding was finally stitched on at 01.15am last Monday morning!
Elder Son's 18th birthday quilt

Another shot
This is a close up of the quilting. I machine quilted 1/4" on the inner sides of the grey sashing and 3/4" from the sashing on the blocks.
Quilting detail
I have always thought that this quilt was being made for me to feel that I'm a 'good' mother rather than my son liking it. I really didn't think that he would be too bothered. Other bloggers assured me that he would, but I didn't believe them. Well I was proved wrong. He loves it and was really overwhelmed that I had made it for him. It now resides on his bed. That is a result, as his bedroom has one massive 'floordrobe' and piles of books around his bed (never in the bookcase)! 
 Here is one last gratuitous shot…
Birthday quilt for ES

The details
Plain fabric from Fluffy Sheep Quilting shop
Patterned fabric from my stash
Binding fabric curtesy of Trudi's fabric pantry

P.S. Don't forget to come back tomorrow for Giveaway result!

Di x

20 comments:

  1. That is a perfect mans quilt, and always lovely to be appreciated, good finish, and well done on making it through the family time and celebrations in one piece! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful! The color combinations are perfect! I'm glad he loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift. Happy 18th to him and I hope that you all had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yey for great reactions! So pleased your son loves the quilt! You should listen to bloggers more often! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fantastic.
    I'm so glad that it all came together and he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to have been right on this one! It is a wonderful quilt and if it made it to the bed, you know he is pleased. Thank you for the word, my youngest has a floordrobe too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous quilt!
    Of course he loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still chuckling at "floordrobe" (a new one to me). SO fab that the quit was well received!! Great result!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the new word too - I love 'floordrobe'! The quilt is perfect and so pleased it went down well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is lovely, no wonder it was well received. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is absolutely fabulous Di - no wonder he loved it. Well done you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant Di, and surely the best compliment is that he loves it too, fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh and ps - how are you old enough to have an 18 year old, you don't look it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous, Di! I love the colours and the pattern. I'm not surprised that he likes it and uses it.
    Like everyone else I love the word floordrobe: my husband has one too...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's wonderful! Happy birthday to the son in question!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made him a fantastic man quilt, so pleased he liked it and hope it will get lots of use.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love a good wave quilt and this is fab! Well done Elder Son for loving it too - a young man of impeccable taste x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is stunning - I love it. Thanks for popping by The Nocturnal stitcher too - will look out for you in London x

    ReplyDelete