Tuesday 25 June 2013

Not quite a baby quilt!

Earlier this month, my boys (young) Godfather became a father. I have held back sending a card to N and his wife R, as I wanted to make a baby quilt to send with it. On Sunday I managed to cut, sew and baste a quilt for Baby E. Back in February this year, I won a fantastic FQ set of Nursery Versery from Alice at Fabric Yard.
Nursery Versery
It is lovely fabric and the little nursery characters are really sweet however I was sort of stumped as to know what to do with these gorgeous FQs. So when Baby E arrived I set to with making a 'boy' quilt. First thing was to separate all the pink sweet fabric. This left me with just the green, grey and purple FQs. I then added half a metre of a neutral and grey fabric. The patchwork fabric (lower right in the photo) was then taken out as it was too pink!
Fabric choices
I then got to it and by 11pm I had this quilt all made up and the backing pieced.
Nursery quilt

Pieced back with little frogs on two of the blocks
Yesterday, I got together with a friend for an afternoon of chat and stitching but I did more unpicking than sewing. My machine kept jumping stitches and no amount of tweaking would fix it. This quick project is now at a halt. 
Skipped stitches
This morning I had to do a 1 1/2hr round trip to drop off my machine at the 'fix it' man. 
Now that has put a fly in my ointment! So I have turned my attention to cutting out my sample swap items. Below is a little peak at what I'm doing. 

I am using Liberty fabrics with a little green retro print to line the Liberty with. You will have to wait for a full reveal but that can only happen once my machine is back and hopefully working!
Di x

18 comments:

  1. Your baby quilt is stunning. I love the fabrics. Good luck with your machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really cute quilt :) booo to naughty machine :( but yay to lovely fabrics for your swap items!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh Liberty love...hope I'm in your group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get your quilt sorted soon. Sometimes the skipped stitches is caused by the need for a new needle. Intrigued by your Liberty plan and love the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely use of the NV fqs! Did you try changing your needle, or cleaning out the bobbin casing? Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no bad news about the sewing machine, I hope it's back soon. The baby quilt is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your machine recovers soon! I can't wait to see what you're making for the sample swap - the Liberty fabric on the right (green and pink) is my favourite print. I have a tiny bit in that colour way and quite a lot more (a second, I think) in blue...I'm hoarding it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a nuisance! Looking great though xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely lovely. poor sewing machine though :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a shame about your machine, but the baby quilt is really beautiful and will certainly be a special, treasured gift for the new arrival.lovely fabrics or your sample swap

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh frustrating when the machinery does not oblige!
    Looks a lovely baby quilt!

    And I am curious as to where you are going with your Liberty??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Naughty, Naughty machine. Hope it's back from the naughty corner soon. Love how it's going with the baby quilt though x

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the baby quilt - if you need to offload the pink FQ's I would selflessly take them off your hands. You're welcome! *g*

    My feed dogs aren't feeding and I'm in the middle of a baby quilt for a friend. It's so frustrating when you're all fired up to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Damn those machines, it's looking great so far though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear about your machine.. Sounds like the timing is out.. Hope you get it back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That baby quilt is so cute and the Liberty absolutely gorgeous. Who knows, I might be lucky enough to be in your group again...
    Hope you get your machine back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh no, sorry about your machine! The baby quilt is looking lovely, gorgeous colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your baby quilt! Judith is right, clean and change the needle is a great fix for skipped stitches :). If its not back, do you want to borrow a machine? Love the look of your swaps, I think we need a liberty trip :)

    ReplyDelete